The KU American Institute of Architecture Students will present their Mark of Distinction Awards + Design in Flight Competition Saturday, Nov. 22 from 12:00 to 5:00 pm in The Forum at Marvin Hall.
The event is open to all architecture students in the KU School of Architecture & and Planning
The AIAS KU Mark of Distinction Awards is a celebration of the incredible work that students in the University of Kansas’ School of Architecture, Design & Planning produce during their academic career. Any work from any point during an architecture student’s time at KU can be submitted to the categories below, which are intended to encompass the full scope of required classes, outside interests, and degree progress levels within the degree programs. Award winners are chosen by university faculty and professionals from the field of architecture.
Guidelines for Submission:
- Any format is acceptable for submission, unless otherwise specified (work will be displayed on pin-up boards and tables)
- Submissions must be unnamed and turned in to the AIAS office in Snow 101 by November 20th
- Participation confirmation must be emailed including participation categories, name, and grade level to firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, or firstname.lastname@example.org by November 20th
- You may submit one piece of work for each category (unless included in series), but you may enter as many categories as you like
A. Best model craft
B. Best sketch of a building on campus
C. Most precise perspective drawing
D. Best use of site design techniques
E. Best building design
F. Best rendering (11 x 17 size)
G. Best use of architectural software
H. Best wall section detailing
I. Best use of sustainable design
J. Best architectural watercolor
K. Best use of digital fabrication
L. Best study abroad sketch
M. Best study abroad photograph
N. Best furniture design
- One student winner will be awarded in each category, determined by professionals, faculty, and students
- The “Mark of Distinction Silver Medal” will be awarded to a single student whose work is exceptional in quality, as determined by professionals and faculty
Design In Flight Competition
As a separate but concurrent event, the Design in Flight competition is a day-of-design challenge that accompanies the of the Mark of Distinction Awards. Students across every year will be placed on teams and asked to conceptually redesign the Lawrence airport during the afternoon. Winners will be judged by faculty, professionals, and the administrative staff of the Lawrence airport. The winning team will be awarded $500.
The Design in Flight competition will take place during the afternoon while professionals and faculty participate in judging the displayed student work. The winning team, as determined by professionals and faculty will take home $500.
The 2014 competition will require students to redesign the Lawrence airport. Several challenges must overcome as students work in teams that will combine all year levels together. With such a short time frame for completion, students will need to work effectively and efficiently in order to overcome these obstacles they face, as well as completing the deliverables and compiling a presentation before time is up.
The program and specific requirements will be handed out on the day of the competition. Presentation materials to meet the deliverable requirements will be provided for each team to use.
12:00-12:30 Sign-in Talk with professionals and faculty; go over competition guidelines split into groups for Design In Flight,
12:30-3:30 Students leave to design airport. Professionals and faculty are free to critique student work and provide help to student groups
3:30-4:15 Design In Flight presentations
4:15-4:45 Professionals/students mingle while scores are calculated and awards prepared
4:45-5:00 Award winners will be announced
AIAS KU Members: $5
Payment accepted at all AIAS meetings, during office hours (1:00-2:00 pm every day, Snow 101), or whenever you can catch a board member!
Questions? Concerns? Clarification?